Brightside is a specialist organisation based in Northumberland, founded in 2011 by a local education consultant who wanted to provide a high quality service for her sibling with complex additional needs. Brightside operated as an OFSTED ‘outstanding’ rated youth service for 5 years, before joining together with a social worker and psychological therapist to launch an adult service in order to meet the unmet need in the local area. Our service is in high demand, due to the lack of social opportunities and organised support for those with moderate to severe additional needs after formal education. We place high regard on the delivery of a quality service, which is valued by parents/carers, our service users, professionals and the local community.
Based in a picturesque location overlooking a lake in Ashington, Brightside uses a person centred approach and inclusive practice to deliver individualised and bespoke care and support to those with additional needs, to enable them to develop and build upon life skills, continue on a journey of lifelong learning and have the opportunity to develop social connections.
Our objectives are the ways in which we provide a high quality service, which ensures good practice and adherence to current government legislation. We do this by:
- Valuing all children, adults, families and staff as individuals.
- Promoting an ethos of inclusion and equal opportunities for all.
- Planning opportunities for adults, which are enjoyable and responsive to their interests and level of development.
- Supporting individuals to develop their independence and inclusion within the local community, with an appropriate level of staff support.
- Keeping up to date and implementing government guidance and legislation.
- Working closely with service users/families and professionals to establish positive working relationships.
- Staff contributing to and implementing the agreed policies; with the view that they are working documents which will be reviewed on an annual basis.
- Seeking training opportunities for all staff, to enhance the quality of the provision.
- Staff being aware of the importance of teamwork and the need to treat each other with respect and consideration, through training and role modelling.
- Continuing to develop our provision through a process of reflection and self– evaluation.
Our 3-year plan has been developed to identify our priorities for the years ahead.
Our goals are:
- To be the person-centred, exceptional quality service provider of choice, for people with additional needs in Northumberland.
- To offer an innovative enabling service which adheres to our core principles while promoting independence and social inclusion
- To offer opportunities for families of those with additional needs to come together and create social groups.
We are a Living Wage employer
Brightside is a proud Living Wage accredited Employer. This means that every member of staff in our organisation earns not just the minimum wage but the Living Wage. The Living Wage is an hourly rate set independently and updated annually, based on the cost of living in the UK. We are committed to valuing our staff, their wonderful work and dedication to our philosophy of care and support and paying the Living Wage is just one way we demonstrate this commitment.